So, I definitely didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to on this piece today. I ended up spending most of the day fighting off a stomach ache and finishing up the cover challenge image. But I did get a chance to start working on the colors and changing around a few things that were bugging me.
1. Moved the mech.
-He was covering up way too much space and he seemed to be too much of a focal point. If I left him there, this image would serve as more of an illustration than a concept piece.
2. Changed the arena.
-I felt like the arena was looking very un-arena like. It seemed more like a science facility more than anything. So I added in some more textural surfaces and tried to add in some more box seats for the audience to sit in. I'm sure I'll still be changing things around, but I'm starting to like where things are now.
3. The astronaut's got a new buddy!
-And I gave them a bit more form and an idea of what they might look like later on. Once again, I'm doing my best to make sure that the astronauts aren't obstructing the environment, as this is intended to be more of an environment than anything else.
One thing I'm really striving for for this particular painting is the sense of being in the shadow and being in the light. I've always been fascinated by people like John Watkiss who can pull this off with ease. I'll be adding some more photos into my reference sheet (which I'll post up tomorrow).
Stay tuned for more updates!